21 Safe Uses of Hydrogen
Peroxide at Home
Hydrogen Peroxide is a very handy
chemical compound at home
In fact, you're probably using it already without knowing.
By vanguard Editorial / Jul 8,2020. 1:43pm EDT
It is found in a wide range of personal care products — toothpaste and mouthwashes, hair dyes and bleachers among them — and in cleaning products like those used in the bathroom or in laundry stain removers.
At Vanguard Industries, we want to give you a complete insight of what this substance is and several ways you can safely use it at home.
What is hydrogen peroxide?
It is a chemical compound, a clear, odorless liquid created by the combination of hydrogen and oxygen (H2O2). It’s an unstable combination in its pure form, therefore it has to be diluted in water for its commercial availability. It's mostly used as an oxidizer and bleaching agent. Since it has antibacterial, antifungal, antimold, and antimildew properties, it is also used as a cleaner and antiseptic in several production lines, including the food and beverage industry, but it can be used at home and in gardening as well.
Atomic mass: 1.0079
Density: 0.09 g/cm3
Melting point: 13.81 K
Boiling point; 20.28 K
Molar mass: 34.0147 g/mol
IUPAC ID: hydrogen peroxide
Density: 1.45 g/cm3
Boiling point: 150.2 °C
Melting point: -0.43 °C
Atomic mass: 15.9994
Density: 1.43 g/cm3
Group: Diatomic nonmetal
Electrons: [He] 2s2 2p4
Melting point: 54.8 K
Boiling point; 90.19 K
What does the percentage mean?
Usually, you will find that the label or name referring to H2O2 in any available product has a value that ranges from 3% to 35%. This percentage refers to the amount of hydrogen peroxide remaining in the product after dilution. Since the chemical compound is unstable, it has to be mixed with an aqueous solution that includes stabilizers. Normally, a concentration rate of 3 percent is available for household use and as over the counter (OTC) antiseptic, 6 to 10 percent is generally used for hair bleaching, and 35 percent might be labeled as food-grade and it’s generally used in food and beverage production lines. Higher concentrations are only available for very specific industrial uses.
What does food-grade mean?
You’ll probably find H2O2 labeled as food-grade. This indicates that the aqueous solution in which the chemical substance is diluted doesn’t include acetanilide, phenol, sodium stannate, and tetrasodium pyrophosphate as stabilizers, meaning that it can be used in the food, meat, poultry, beverage, and dairy industry, but it doesn’t mean in any way that you can directly ingest this (or any) presentation of the chemical!
Safe ways to use hydrogen peroxide at home
Given the oxidizing and antiseptic properties of this chemical compound, you can confidently use it at home — handling it with all the precautions needed and making sure that you employ an adequate percentage of dilution.You can apply a three percent (3%) solution as follows:
Cleaner & sanitizer
Whether you need an area or surface to look shiny or are looking for an easy method to get rid of germs, use H2O2 to:
- Clean walls, windows, countertops, surfaces, floors, toilets, showers — including its floors —, and mildew
- Sanitize kitchen countertops, doorknobs, faucets, sinks, and toilets, including its cleaning brushes & scrubbers
- Clean pet urine and fecal stains and odors
- Clean your mirrors, giving them a new shine!
- Clean and sanitize humidifiers and dehumidifiers
- Whiten clothes, using H2O2 instead of chlorine bleach
In the kitchen
This chemical compound is such a great aide in the kitchen that once you try it, you’re going to wonder why you didn’t use it before! Employ it to:
- Disinfect your cutting boards
- Give an antibacterial wash to vegetables
- Clean & sanitize your fridge
- Clean and disinfect your dish brush, dish sponges and dishcloths
- Disinfect reusable grocery bags when you don’t have time to wash them thoroughly
- Clean your dishwasher and sink
Hydroponics & gardening
H2O2 is great for plants since it can be found naturally in rainwater. When used in the right proportion, it might be helpful to:
- Get rid of pathogens in watering systems
- Nurture the water that feeds plants
- Clean the compost bucket
- Control fungus and mold on plants and soi
- Accelerate seed germination
- Clean all your gardening and hydroponics tools and accessories
- Clean your garden pond and get rid of algae
As an aid in your personal care, here are some of the several ways you can use H2O2:
- Get rid of fungus and bacteria that can cause foot odor
- Alleviate swollen gums by mixing half 3% H2O2 and half water, then use it as a mouth rinse for 30 seconds
Dillution chart & calculator
Vanguard’s 35% Hydrogen Peroxide Food-Grade can be carefully handled at home and diluted with water to get a 3% compound ready for its many uses. Just carefully mix the amount of 35% H2O2 with the amount of water indicated based on the size of your container after using the provided calculator. When handling 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, always wear rubber gloves to keep your skin safe from burns.
Calculate any dilution (3% default)
Benefits of using Vanguard’s 35% hydrogen peroxide food-grade
Non-toxic for people, plants, pets & the environment (when handled properly and using the right dilution rate). It’s recognized as a safe antimicrobial agent by the FDA.
Since it has many uses as a home cleaning, disinfectant, and sanitizing product, you don’t need to buy different types of cleaning supplies. When using hydrogen peroxide, You’ll have an all-in-one quality product when using H2O2!
It’s not expensive when bought in its concentrated 35% formula, you will save money!
We guarantee our 35% hydrogen peroxide will hold it’s concentration when stored properly for at least one year!
Disclaimer & advice on how not to use 35% H2O2 Food-Grade
Although an abundance of literature & opinions can be found on the web, food-grade hydrogen peroxide is not intended for drinking or ingesting. Doing this, especially in its higher concentrations, could result in nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and may cause you internal bleeding as well as sore throat since is very corrosive when not diluted. Medical use concentrations are 5% and below and are not suitable for ingestion.